Heading into today’s game the New Orleans Hornets had dropped two games that they should have won. This was no a little bit different as the Hornets decided for once in a long while they’d actually play assertive basketball, it led to a 105-91 win over the lowly New Jersey Nets. Right from the get go New Orleans was playing efficient and effective basketball. More importantly others were picking up the slack left behind by Trevor Ariza going into the half on top.
After that the Hornets kicked it into gear as Marcus Thornton bombed it from deep on numerous occasions (he finished 4-5 from three). With a 26-13 third quarter the game was essentially over. Chris Paul was finding his guys and all was well among Hornets nation.
Isn’t it great to finally get a win?
- Have to start with Lil’ Buckets, Marcus Thornton once again showed his value to the team scoring 18 points of the bench in an efficient manner (on 10 shots). He still doesn’t get the calls we would all like him to but if he sticks with it and garners a reputation as one of the most dynamic players off the bench maybe refs start blowing instead of swallowing (this is a PG-13 program folks…).
- Must give props to Emeka Okafor, he cops a lot of flack here, most of it warranted, but tonight he quietly put together a stellar game finishing with 21 points on 13 shots, grabbing 10 rebounds and blocking a shot. I wish Okafor would step up more often, particularly against some of the better teams. He truly is a confidence player because once he hits his first shot usually things roll on from there.
- Oh deary me Chris Paul is fantastic isn’t he? He didn’t get 20 points which he usually should but he ended up with 14 assists, 6 rebounds in addition to his 12 points.
- David West continues to do what he does best. Ignorant fools that are only fans of their teams wouldn’t even notice that Dee Dubya is plugging along at his All-Star rate getting 18 points and 9 rebounds night in and night out. He also gets a number of dimes (2 tonight) and actually is doing a better job of blocking opponents shots (2 blocks tonight).
- Jarrett Jack added some spice to the Hornets bench with 7 points, 3 rebounds and 3 assists, need to be more consistent Mr. Jack.
- Marco Belinelli acted in more of a scorers role tonight chipping in with 14 points. He really does try, but sometimes he just doesn’t get it. Really need him to step up more often.
- It really is saddening to hear that Willie Green lost both his sister and cousin in a tragic car accident a couple of nights ago. I offer my condolences to the Green family and hope they can get through this tough time.
- Trevor Ariza and his brick layer job he continues to persist in. We don’t like that career path T-Rev…
- The fact we should be 19-10 not 17-12.
Next up is the Atlanta Hawks at home after Christmas of course. So I do hope you all have a very Merry Christmas, stay safe and enjoy your time with your families. I’ll be going away for a little bit to celebrate Christmas, I’ll be watching the cricket (The Ashes) in the famous Boxing Day Test Match. It’s a big 5 days as the series is tied at 1-1 and the expected crowd is supposed to be around 100,000. If you have a strong enough Internet connection check it out I implore you (even if you find it boring).
Final Word: Inconsistent
(Only because we lost those games before but won this one…).