How in the heck did that happen? The Mavericks had this game rapped up in a neat little box ready to move onto the next one. Yet the New Orleans Hornets never went away.
Down 7 with a minute left the Hornets had the ball. Jack missed the shot but he got the rebound, passed to Marco Belinelli who got the off-balance three to go. Belinelli on the defensive end got the tip to Ariza who ran up the floor. His shot was blocked by Tyson Chandler but the Italian ended up with the ball, drove baseline missed the shot, but Emeka Okafor got the rebound, the shot and the foul. He missed the free-throw and Chandler got the rebound. He was fouled and then missed both free throws.
The Hornets somehow some way then managed to pull it out. Jarrett Jack had the ball on the right side, Kidd reached in and Jack went up and drew three free-throws. He knocked every one of them down.
A defensive possession later (and a Dirk Nowitzki missed jumper) and the Hornets pulled off one of the best wins in franchise history (in terms of the circumstances and series of events). This one was a win for the Mavericks, yet somehow New Orleans against all odds won.
Let’s head over the jump for some of the individual breakdowns.
- Marco Belinelli played a good game going for 21 points on 15 shots. He also had 5 defensive rebounds. I just hope that he can be this on when everyone is healthy and on the same page.
- Carl Landry played his role giving the Hornets some form of offense in the middle of the game. He finished with 15 points on 9 shots before fouling out.
- You can’t say enough about the resiliency of Jarrett Jack. He was having a terrible game, being tentative, lackluster and missing everything. He turned it on in the fourth though as he finished with 21 points on 19 shots, 7 assists on 2 turnovers and 6 rebounds.
- Trevor Ariza is so close to being kicked off this team. He is just a black hole on offense, he takes terrible jump shots, can’t dribble the ball at all and overall has no clue what is going on. Sure his defense is great, but that means little to nothing when you do nothing on offense.
- Willie Green were abysmal today. He rarely drove, took long jumpshots and held the ball up in the offensive sets. He needs to have someone setting him up in order for him to produce and Jack isn’t that kind of creator.
- Emeka Okafor was absent again tonight, he just didn’t involve himself in the game until that crucial offensive rebound. Marco seemed to hurl it up and Okafor caught it, went up strong, got the basket and the foul. We are all waiting his return though, he just isn’t in a consistent groove.
- David West clanked so many shots. His ankle may not be bothering him, but something else is. His line is kind of efficient, he did show up in the fourth
- The referees also sucked, they never seemed to know the right call, gave Dallas a lot of leeway. Oh they also don’t know what a moving screen is.
Next up is the Sacramento Kings, the Hornets need to keep on winning if they want to stay in the playoffs. As you can tell I wrote most of this recap before that last minute and half happened. But good lord it was a heck of a game.
Final Word: Anarchy